Motorcyclist dies in smash with cars

Click or flick across for more photos from the scene.

POLICE believe speed played a part in a fatal Wagga Road crash yesterday that killed a 22-year-old motorcyclist.

The Albury man became airborne after his bike and a Ford Territory collided at the Dick Road intersection.

He was flung into the path of a second car, a Ford station wagon, and died at the scene.

His Suzuki GSX-R was barely recognisable – in hundreds of black pieces on the road – evidence of the violent force of the crash.

An Albury man on the scene soon after the crash about 5.30pm, said people had been unable to resuscitate the rider as he lay on the road.

“Ian” said he wanted to erase his memory of the afternoon, an incident he found all the more traumatic as a motorcycle rider himself.

He said he had turned left on to Wagga Road on his bike when he saw cars swerving left and right in front of him.

“When I saw it I just thought: ‘Oh no’,” Ian said.

He stayed to help as a witness as a police officer performed CPR.

He stayed until the victim was pronounced dead and then walked back to his motorbike, stopping first to look at the fragmented remains of the Suzuki.

“It was torn in half — I don’t even know where the handle bars were or anything,” he said.

“In the gutter right in the corner there was a bit of an accelerator.

“There was just stuff everywhere.”

The Ford Territory was left with a shattered windscreen where the rider had hit it so forcefully.

The passengers in the two cars largely escaped unhurt, with the female driver of the Ford Territory, in her forties, receiving non-life threatening chest injuries.

According to witnesses, one of the cars was carrying young children.

Family members of the dead man were called to the scene to identify him late yesterday.

A NSW Police spokesperson said the motorcyclist had been travelling along Dick Road before he collided with the Territory which was travelling south on Wagga Road. The second car was travelling in the opposite direction, away from Albury.

Investigations into the crash are continuing, with police confirming speed appeared to be a factor.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide