'Great save': Wodonga house fire

A WODONGA family is lucky to still have their house after a fire broke out in their ensuite last night.

In what a senior firefighter is calling “one of the best saves I’ve ever seen”, West Wodonga firefighters arrived at the Montclair Avenue home three minutes after the blaze started about 10pm.

The fire was contained to the ensuite, which suffered extensive damage to its ceiling.

All eight people in the house escaped without injury.

Smoke caused damage to some other rooms, but Wodonga station officer David Brown said it was the best result out of a bad situation.

“The West Wodonga crew were there within three minutes and the family activated their fire action plan straight away,” Mr Brown said,

“It was probably the difference between a damaged ensuite and losing the whole house.”

Wodonga Council assisted the family with temporary accommodation last night.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop