Lit cigarette butt likely cause of fire

A FIRE in the median strip of the Lincoln Causeway yesterday may have started from a discarded cigarette butt.

The small fire near the railway overpass stretch of the causeway about 4pm was put out quickly and only burned one square metre.

But leading firefighter at Wodonga Brett Myers said the result could have been worse.

“Even if the person threw the butt on to the other side of the road it could have been much worse.

“The message here is to never throw a cigarette butt out the window.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop