FIREFIGHTERS yesterday praised the efforts of workers who prevented a power pole explosion turning into a nasty fire in South Albury.
The transformer on the pole at the end of a bridge crossing Oddies Creek in Abercorn Street burst into flames at noon and a shower of sparks created a grass fire in seconds.
Albury Central fire station officer Alex Marshall praised the quick-thinking of workers at the nearby Mini Cretes factory.
“They put the garden hose on it straight away,” he said.
“They were able to suppress the fire until we arrived.
“Had they not been on the scene, the fire could have easily spread into the creek that is largely overgrown and winds through homes and other businesses in South Albury.
“The whole creek could have gone up.”
Mr Marshall said people in and around the Border needed to be vigilant in the expected heatwave over the next week.
“We would rather take 100 calls on a fire, than people think someone else will phone it in,” he said.
“We just all need to be on guard.”
Nearby worker David Arnold said the grass had burst into flames.
“I heard the bang and ran out of the shed and there were already pretty decent flames,” he said.