A YOUNG mother wielded a piece of wood to defend herself and her infant daughter against four men alleged to have broken into her Springdale Heights home this week.
Police facts presented in Albury Local Court yesterday outlined how North Albury man Luke Anthony Terrill was struck on the side of the head after he was found inside the woman’s house when she came home at 10.45pm on Tuesday.
The mother-of-two heard voices inside, walked through the laundry door which was open and saw four men in her lounge room.
Three of the men fled the house but Terrill had been struck by the woman after he had picked up an electrical pedestal fan, raised it above his head and motioned as if he was going to throw it.
The mother shielded her three-month-old daughter by putting her on the floor behind a wall before picking up the piece of wood and swinging it towards Terrill.
He was knocked backwards, falling to the floor and breaking a nearby window.
The woman grabbed her child and ran to a nearby house to ring the police.
Terrill, 19, of Wantigong Street, was arrested by police in the backyard soon after.
He told police he had drunk eight or nine bottles of heavy beer.
Terrill was charged with aggravated breaking and entering, an indictable offence using violence, aggravated breaking and entering in company, two counts of being armed with intent to commit and indictable offence, assaulting police, resisting arrest and assault.
Solicitor Sue Robey applied for bail for Terrill, but it was opposed by police prosecutor Sgt Shannon Lewis.
Sgt Lewis said Terrill was on bail for similar offences which had involved wielding a machete and threatening a petrified family inside their home.
Three charges had been adjourned for the preparation of a report with sentencing pending on January 22.
Ms Robey said Terrill was disputing the allegations, claims he was invited inside and there had been no violence towards the children.
“He is aware he has a significant problem with alcohol,” Ms Robey said.
Magistrate Megan Greenwood refused bail because of the risk of further offences and adjourned the charges until January 21.