FIFTEEN people were charged with drink-driving in Albury during the Australia Day long weekend, including one man who blew nearly four times the legal limit.
Albury highway patrol Sgt Matt Zemaitis said police involved in the weekend-long blitz detected 15 drink-drivers, 105 speeding drivers, 13 people not wearing seat belts and 92 other offences including those using a mobile phone while driving and driving an unregistered car.
Sgt Zemaitis said the highest blood-alcohol readings had come from a 50-year-old man who had blown .191 and a 59-year-old man who had returned a reading of .171.
He said both men had driven through a breath test station set up in David Street on Saturday night about 9pm. They were pulled over by police further up the street.
Sgt Zemaitis said their intoxication was one of the most concerning results of Operation Safe Return, which started on Friday and ended at midnight on Monday.
The two men, just like all the 15 charged with drink-driving, will appear in court.
Hoon drivers were also targeted by police, with a 19-year-old man charged after doing a burn-out in The Avenue at Thurgoona at 8.30pm on Saturday.
Sgt Zemaitis said none of the speeding charges were related to high-speed offences.
“But obviously any speeding is a concern, especially when double demerit points are enforced,” he said.
No one was killed on NSW roads during the operation but 690 major crashes were reported.
Wdonga police highway patrol Acting Sgt Mal Burdett said drivers had been well-behaved in the area.
He asked drivers to be mindful at school crossings and bus stops with schools opening.