Plans for top-tier event put on hold

A MOVE to introduce a new competition for the best pennant bowls teams in the Riverina has been shelved.

Albury and District Bowling Association clubs North Albury and Henty were approached about the proposal but both rejected it.

It had been suggested the two leading teams in each of the six districts in Zone 8 (Riverina) would take part in a five-week competition.

The proposal was scheduled for discussion at a zone meeting held in Wagga last Saturday.

But it was withdrawn for further investigation by those who came up with the suggestion — Wagga district president Rob Worner and Southern Slopes secretary Bill Spletter.

“It needs a little bit more thought,” Spletter told the meeting.

A revamped proposal could be prepared for the annual meeting in June or perhaps later in the year.

Tumut from the Southern Highlands district was in favour of it but Batlow rejected it because of travel and cost.

Southern Highlands secretary Barry Smith said the concept has some merit but it could have a significant impact on his district’s pennant competition if the two clubs took part.

Zone president Pat McCarten said he has been attending meetings at zone level since 1997.

The argument has always been that teams in Zone 8 should not be playing in grades one and two because they are not competitive.

Southern Highlands president Dick Sedgwick said the emphasis is on trying to get teams into higher grades.

He said it was his belief teams should be dropping back to lower grades where they can compete.

It was decided at the meeting that the President’s Cup competition for players in grades five, six and seven will be held at West Wyalong in September.

The following year it will be hosted by the Riverina District and in 2015 by the Albury District.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop