GALLERY: Streetscapes

1960s image of Preston Motors taken from the west side of Kiewa Street, Albury, with four parked cars at front of image, each car with snow on roof and windows. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1960s image of Preston Motors taken from the west side of Kiewa Street, Albury, with four parked cars at front of image, each car with snow on roof and windows. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
High Street, Wodonga, looking south on March 30, 1976. Ampol Service Station on western side of street, Golden Fleece sign just visible on east side of street. BP sign visible on western side much further down street. Signs for motels are also visible on each side of street. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

High Street, Wodonga, looking south on March 30, 1976. Ampol Service Station on western side of street, Golden Fleece sign just visible on east side of street. BP sign visible on western side much further down street. Signs for motels are also visible on each side of street. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1914 postcard of parade of eight Ford Open Tourer cars in Dean Street, Albury. The Mechanics Institute is on the extreme right. The cars are drapped with banners advertising Ford motor vehicles and Blacklocks Garage in Kiewa Street, Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1914 postcard of parade of eight Ford Open Tourer cars in Dean Street, Albury. The Mechanics Institute is on the extreme right. The cars are drapped with banners advertising Ford motor vehicles and Blacklocks Garage in Kiewa Street, Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1985 photograph of Albury Ski Shop and adjoining Gloucester Hotel in Townsend Street. In the 1860s Townsend Street was the centre of the business district until floods forced businesses to shift into Dean Street. Two banks occupied the Ski Shop and Gloucester Hotel sites. All the buildings in the photograph were demolished to make way for the Westend Plaza, now Centro Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1985 photograph of Albury Ski Shop and adjoining Gloucester Hotel in Townsend Street. In the 1860s Townsend Street was the centre of the business district until floods forced businesses to shift into Dean Street. Two banks occupied the Ski Shop and Gloucester Hotel sites. All the buildings in the photograph were demolished to make way for the Westend Plaza, now Centro Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

Smollett Street avenue of trees. Botanic Gardens timber and wire fence at left. Corner entrance to Albury Sportsground at right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

Smollett Street avenue of trees. Botanic Gardens timber and wire fence at left. Corner entrance to Albury Sportsground at right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1911 photograph of the Robbins and Porter Motor Garage in Kiewa Street, Albury. Two open tourers, drivers and a man standing on the footpath. Partial view of Crawford's Coach Terminal on the right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1911 photograph of the Robbins and Porter Motor Garage in Kiewa Street, Albury. Two open tourers, drivers and a man standing on the footpath. Partial view of Crawford's Coach Terminal on the right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1950s photograph looking north-east along Olive Street, Albury, towards intersection with Dean Street. CML building with prominent clocktower in centre. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1950s photograph looking north-east along Olive Street, Albury, towards intersection with Dean Street. CML building with prominent clocktower in centre. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

The Carriageway building in Smollett Street opposite St. Patrick's Church. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

The Carriageway building in Smollett Street opposite St. Patrick's Church. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

Early photograph of St. Matthew's Church of England in Kiewa Street, Albury. The church was designed by Edmund Blackett. The first rector, Henry Elliot, died before the church was opened in 1859. The church had an earthen floor and calico instead of glass in the windows. All that remains of the Blackett church is the front porch. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

Early photograph of St. Matthew's Church of England in Kiewa Street, Albury. The church was designed by Edmund Blackett. The first rector, Henry Elliot, died before the church was opened in 1859. The church had an earthen floor and calico instead of glass in the windows. All that remains of the Blackett church is the front porch. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1970s picture of Albury City Council Chambers in Kiewa Street, Albury. Partial view of the CWA Rooms on extreme right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1970s picture of Albury City Council Chambers in Kiewa Street, Albury. Partial view of the CWA Rooms on extreme right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1920s photograph of the Albury Banner Office in Dean Street, Albury. Mate's Department Store is on the right. George Adams of Adamshurst in David Street was the proprietor of the Albury Banner from 1862 until his death in 1918. Foster Cooper became the Banner's editor in 1872 and stayed for 49 years. The Banner closed in 1950.  Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1920s photograph of the Albury Banner Office in Dean Street, Albury. Mate's Department Store is on the right. George Adams of Adamshurst in David Street was the proprietor of the Albury Banner from 1862 until his death in 1918. Foster Cooper became the Banner's editor in 1872 and stayed for 49 years. The Banner closed in 1950. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1930s photo of Wood Dentists, Dean Street, Albury, north side, between Olive and David Streets. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1930s photo of Wood Dentists, Dean Street, Albury, north side, between Olive and David Streets. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1960s shot of Anzac House in Dean Street. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1960s shot of Anzac House in Dean Street. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1980s shop frontage in Townsend Street, Albury. This section of Townsend Street was demolished to build Westend Plaza, now Centro Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

1980s shop frontage in Townsend Street, Albury. This section of Townsend Street was demolished to build Westend Plaza, now Centro Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION

Dean Street opposite Townsend Street in the 1960s, a strip now occupied by the Commercial Club.

Dean Street opposite Townsend Street in the 1960s, a strip now occupied by the Commercial Club.

Dean Street between Kiewa and Olive streets in the 1920s. Howard Jones Collection

Dean Street between Kiewa and Olive streets in the 1920s. Howard Jones Collection

Bicycles and horses in Dean Street about 1912.

Bicycles and horses in Dean Street about 1912.

A Thirties picture of Dean Street before the Ritz arcade was built.

A Thirties picture of Dean Street before the Ritz arcade was built.

A dentist’s surgery and home in dean street in the Thirties.

A dentist’s surgery and home in dean street in the Thirties.

The Kiewa Street showroom of the Albury gasworks, with the works behind. A 1970s picture.

The Kiewa Street showroom of the Albury gasworks, with the works behind. A 1970s picture.

The classic iron verandah on the old Globe Hotel in the Fifties.

The classic iron verandah on the old Globe Hotel in the Fifties.

Wodonga's High Street about 100 years ago, the Terminus Hotel on left.

Wodonga's High Street about 100 years ago, the Terminus Hotel on left.

The main Dean Street block opposite the Court House about 1907. Howard Jones Collection.

The main Dean Street block opposite the Court House about 1907. Howard Jones Collection.

A small locomotive work on construction of the Hume Dam about 1929.

A small locomotive work on construction of the Hume Dam about 1929.

A disastrous fire destroyed Mate’s department store in 1916. It was quickly rebuilt.

A disastrous fire destroyed Mate’s department store in 1916. It was quickly rebuilt.

The original Hume shire offices on the corner of Kiewa and Englehardt streets, replaced in the 1960s.

The original Hume shire offices on the corner of Kiewa and Englehardt streets, replaced in the 1960s.

A Thirties view of the Regent Theatre at night.

A Thirties view of the Regent Theatre at night.

Ryan’s Market Hotel, an art deco building of the late Thirties (corner of Dean and Olive streets).

Ryan’s Market Hotel, an art deco building of the late Thirties (corner of Dean and Olive streets).

Thiel’s Bakery staff in Macauley Street in the Thirties.

Thiel’s Bakery staff in Macauley Street in the Thirties.

Early 1900s view of mate’s corner on Kiewa Street (from a German postcard).

Early 1900s view of mate’s corner on Kiewa Street (from a German postcard).

Aerial view cengtral Albury with the Volt Lane car parks in foreground, about 1969.

Aerial view cengtral Albury with the Volt Lane car parks in foreground, about 1969.

A visiting Dutch replica of the Uiver plane was displayed at an Albury race meeting in 1984.

A visiting Dutch replica of the Uiver plane was displayed at an Albury race meeting in 1984.

The old Lands Office building (later Burrows House) about 1899. Howard Jones Collection

The old Lands Office building (later Burrows House) about 1899. Howard Jones Collection

The Star Hotel in Guinea Street, late 19th century.

The Star Hotel in Guinea Street, late 19th century.

A car dealer and church hall in Olive Street in the Fifties (now site of police station)

A car dealer and church hall in Olive Street in the Fifties (now site of police station)

Lewis Jones’ Exchange Hotel, demolished in Thirties for Farmers and Graziers woolstore.

Lewis Jones’ Exchange Hotel, demolished in Thirties for Farmers and Graziers woolstore.

A brewery operated in Albury near the Union Bridge before World War I.

A brewery operated in Albury near the Union Bridge before World War I.

The Farmers & Graziers woolstore, no longer the Australian Taxation Office, is scheduled to become Quest Apartments.

The Farmers & Graziers woolstore, no longer the Australian Taxation Office, is scheduled to become Quest Apartments.

The Farners Arms Hotel on Old Sydney Road at Thurgoona in the late 19th century. Howard Jones Collection.

The Farners Arms Hotel on Old Sydney Road at Thurgoona in the late 19th century. Howard Jones Collection.

The centre of Albury about 1905 — from a German-manufactured picture postcard.

The centre of Albury about 1905 — from a German-manufactured picture postcard.

Hoyts Cinema in Olive street closed in 1972, now the  Chemist Warehouse site on the Volt Lane corner.

Hoyts Cinema in Olive street closed in 1972, now the Chemist Warehouse site on the Volt Lane corner.

Nyang, apartments built for Mrs Gertrude Colquhoun in Kiewa Sreet between the world wars.

Nyang, apartments built for Mrs Gertrude Colquhoun in Kiewa Sreet between the world wars.

The original Salvation Army Citadel in Kiewa Street, opposite Swift Street.

The original Salvation Army Citadel in Kiewa Street, opposite Swift Street.

The first Presbyterian Church in Smollett Street, later the site of St Patrick’s Hall.

The first Presbyterian Church in Smollett Street, later the site of St Patrick’s Hall.

Charles Schmiedt’s Albury Hotel in dean street was replaced by the New Albury Hotel in 1938.

Charles Schmiedt’s Albury Hotel in dean street was replaced by the New Albury Hotel in 1938.

Sodens Hotel in the Twenties before the verandah was built on Wilson and David streets.

Sodens Hotel in the Twenties before the verandah was built on Wilson and David streets.

Floods in Wodonga Place, near Noreuil park, in the Fifties.

Floods in Wodonga Place, near Noreuil park, in the Fifties.

The Albury Sportsground under water, probably in the record flood of 1917.

The Albury Sportsground under water, probably in the record flood of 1917.

The Hovell Tree.

The Hovell Tree.

A cottage in David Street, South Albury, once part of Luke Gulson’s pottery business.

A cottage in David Street, South Albury, once part of Luke Gulson’s pottery business.

Trefoil’s’ Imperial Hotel, in Townsend Street in the 1870s.

Trefoil’s’ Imperial Hotel, in Townsend Street in the 1870s.

Workmen construction the Bethanga Bridge in 1929-1930. Howard Jones Collection.

Workmen construction the Bethanga Bridge in 1929-1930. Howard Jones Collection.

Bonegilla House in Kiewa Street, built in the 1850s.

Bonegilla House in Kiewa Street, built in the 1850s.

Kia Ora in Townsned Street, built of granite in the 1850s as a bank.

Kia Ora in Townsned Street, built of granite in the 1850s as a bank.

Albury Court House, built in 860 and still in use occasionally.

Albury Court House, built in 860 and still in use occasionally.

The original Globe Hotel with the former post ofifce and court house beyond. Picture is pre-1870

The original Globe Hotel with the former post ofifce and court house beyond. Picture is pre-1870

The original Albury hospital in Thurgona Street, which closed in 1918.

The original Albury hospital in Thurgona Street, which closed in 1918.

A print of the original Post Ofifce in Dean Street, 1860s.

A print of the original Post Ofifce in Dean Street, 1860s.

Albury Public School’s oldest section dated 1861.

Albury Public School’s oldest section dated 1861.

The timber Union bridge replaced in 1961.

The timber Union bridge replaced in 1961.

St Bridget’s Convent in Olive Street.

St Bridget’s Convent in Olive Street.

St Matthew’s Rectory, built 1869 and still in use.

St Matthew’s Rectory, built 1869 and still in use.

Fallon Cellars, Kiew Street in the Fifties, site now occupied by Quest Apartments.

Fallon Cellars, Kiew Street in the Fifties, site now occupied by Quest Apartments.

De Kerilleau in Wodonga.

De Kerilleau in Wodonga.

The Burrowsn Flour Mill in Wodonga Place in the 19th century.

The Burrowsn Flour Mill in Wodonga Place in the 19th century.

St Patrick’s Catholic Church, built 1872.

St Patrick’s Catholic Church, built 1872.

Nathan’s Corner as it looked in 1920 (corner of Dean and Townsend streets).

Nathan’s Corner as it looked in 1920 (corner of Dean and Townsend streets).

The “Gas & Fuel” building, originally a Mate’s store (in Hume street).

The “Gas & Fuel” building, originally a Mate’s store (in Hume street).

The Globe Hotel in the late 19th century.

The Globe Hotel in the late 19th century.

A bank demolished in the 1930s and replaced by the now National Australia Bank, opposite the post ofifce.

A bank demolished in the 1930s and replaced by the now National Australia Bank, opposite the post ofifce.

Sacred Heart chapel at St Bridget’s convent.

Sacred Heart chapel at St Bridget’s convent.

One of the Wilson Street cottages demolished by Zauner in 2013 for a housing estate.

One of the Wilson Street cottages demolished by Zauner in 2013 for a housing estate.

“The Castle” at Albury Public School in 1920.

“The Castle” at Albury Public School in 1920.

The Town Hall Hotel, now site of Bendigo Bank, in 19th century.

The Town Hall Hotel, now site of Bendigo Bank, in 19th century.

Railway workers’ cottages built in 1880s in Young Street.

Railway workers’ cottages built in 1880s in Young Street.

Railway bridge opened in 1883 and still operating.

Railway bridge opened in 1883 and still operating.

Albury showgrounds, early 1900s. Now The Scots School.

Albury showgrounds, early 1900s. Now The Scots School.

Albury showgrounds, early 1900s. Now The Scots School.

Albury showgrounds, early 1900s. Now The Scots School.

Albury Telegraph Office in 19th century, now Murray Conservatorium.

Albury Telegraph Office in 19th century, now Murray Conservatorium.

Christian Brothers College, also called St Patrick’s School at different times.

Christian Brothers College, also called St Patrick’s School at different times.

Albury waterworks about 1900.

Albury waterworks about 1900.

Beehive Corner, with Moys Shoe Shop closed in 1980s.

Beehive Corner, with Moys Shoe Shop closed in 1980s.

A house demolished on the corner of Kiewa and Englehardt streets for an office development.

A house demolished on the corner of Kiewa and Englehardt streets for an office development.

Early scene western part of Dean Street, probably 19th century.

Early scene western part of Dean Street, probably 19th century.

Valetta, house demolished for the former Albury Library and civic centre.

Valetta, house demolished for the former Albury Library and civic centre.

Post ofifce and Mate’s about 1905. Howard Jones Collection

Post ofifce and Mate’s about 1905. Howard Jones Collection

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

The Albury Gaol, built in 1862, demolished in 1947.

Exercise yards at gaol.

Exercise yards at gaol.

Commercial Banking Co of Sydney, diagonally opposite post office.

Commercial Banking Co of Sydney, diagonally opposite post office.

Floodwaters sweep through construction works at Hume Dam, about 1930.

Floodwaters sweep through construction works at Hume Dam, about 1930.

The view of Albury from Monument Hill.

The view of Albury from Monument Hill.

The Globe Hotel and adjoing wine cellars and shops in Kiewa Street, around 1870.

The Globe Hotel and adjoing wine cellars and shops in Kiewa Street, around 1870.

Blacklocks cycle & motor works, Kiewa Street (Now Centro site) about 1914.

Blacklocks cycle & motor works, Kiewa Street (Now Centro site) about 1914.

Wodonga's Terminus Hotel, circa 1920.

Wodonga's Terminus Hotel, circa 1920.

Wodonga Terminus Hotel staff from the same period.

Wodonga Terminus Hotel staff from the same period.

John Thomas’ clothing store in Dean Street early 20th century.

John Thomas’ clothing store in Dean Street early 20th century.