When Hayden Crossley returned home after a fire prevention class at school, his parents said he had taken the lessons seriously.
Paul and Claire Crossley had no idea their son's enthusiasm for the class would help prevent their neighbour's house from burning down a few weeks later.
Hayden was recognised for his contribution with a Queensland Fire and Rescue Service certificate and a tour of Cleveland Fire Station on Friday.
The six-year-old was riding a bike in his Thornlands street on July 14 when he noticed smoke and heard smoke alarms coming from a nearby house.
Without hesitating, Hayden ran inside to tell his father about the blaze and ask his mother to dial triple-zero.
Mr Crossley located the fire inside the house and, with the help of other neighbours, confined the blaze to the kitchen with a garden hose and extinguishers until fire crews arrived.
QFRS Cleveland Area Commander Andrew Sturgess said Hayden's quick thinking had almost certainly saved the house from complete destruction.
"The key to saving anything in a fire is quick action, so Hayden was at the front of that and he did a great job," he said.
"His awareness of the smoke and informing his parents was of great benefit."
Mr and Mrs Crossley said they were extremely proud of Hayden.
"If Hayden didn't come in and tell me that was happening, I wouldn't have gone looking for it," Mr Crossley said.
"There was no-one there and rather than stand and watch it burn, we did what we could to try and limit how much damage there was."
Inspector Sturgess said firefighters had visited Hayden's class at St Anthony's Primary School in May to speak to students about fire safety.
He stressed the importance of smoke alarms in preventing fires from spreading.
"The house did have a smoke alarm in it, so that was part of the warning system and Hayden was able to hear it," he said.
"Raising the alarm and recognising the danger early is extremely important, and the key to that is having a smoke alarm on your premises."