A FARMHOUSE at Tumbarumba was destroyed by fire on Friday afternoon, police said.
Officers said police were the first of the emergency services to arrive at the Courabyra Road property at 3pm.
They said police attempted to enter the home to search for occupants after a witness didn’t know if anyone was home.
Two NSW Fire and Rescue and four NSW Rural Fire Service units extinguished the blaze and confirmed the owner was not inside.
Police said an investigation by the Rural Fire Service found the fire started in the ceiling above a combustible stove flue and is not regarded as suspicious.
Owners of slow combustion stoves or heaters are urged to have flues cleaned regularly and inspected to minimize the risk of roof fires.
Meanwhile, police and the fire brigade were called to Mungabareena Reserve on Doctors Point Road at 7pm on Friday.
A Wodonga man, 41, was found to have been burning packing from a mowing shop, police said.
An Albury Council ranger attended and issued fines to the man for the unauthorised fire, illegal dumping and fire in a restricted area.