A MYRTLEFORD house was gutted by fire overnight with asbestos fears, prompting a warning for residents to stay indoors.
The blaze struck about 7.15pm at the Gerratys Lane home which was unoccupied at the time.
The house was built from fibrous cement sheeting and fire crews were quick to warn residents to keep windows closed and to stay indoors to avoid breathing in potentially harmful asbestos fibres.
The house was engulfed with flames when Myrtleford police and fire crews attended.
It took about an hour for the fire to be extinguished.
A spokesman from Myrtleford police said the two men who lived at the house, a 55-year-old man and a 70-year-old man, were both out at the time.
He said while the cause of the fire was not yet known, it was a timely reminder to all to make sure chimneys were clean and smoke detectors were working.
Police and the fire brigade are continuing to investigate.