A MOBILE phone black spot between Savernake and Rennie will be put forward as a priority by member for Farrer Sussan Ley if the Coalition is elected on September 7.
The Coalition yesterday promised to invest $100 million to address black spots across Australia with hundreds of regional communities not having adequate coverage.
Its plan to fix the issue in remote areas is by building hundreds of much needed base stations.
Ms Ley said the Savernake area had been lobbying for better coverage for years.
“After six years of neglect by Labor, I welcome this funding commitment which will target areas where mobile phone black spots are having a major economic and social impact on the community,” she said.
“Locally, I am immediately thinking of the area between Savernake and Rennie.
“There’s also areas near The Rock, Jerilderie and Deniliquin and that’s just the start of the list in Farrer.
“The federal Coalition is committed to working with the telcos, local councils and the NSW government to deliver the improved mobile phone coverage we deserve.”
If elected, a Coalition government would partner communities, state governments and telecommunications companies to ensure the total new investment in black spots is bigger than the $100 million commitment.
The policy will provide $80 million for a mobile network expansion program improving coverage along major transport routes, in small communities and in locations prone to experiencing natural disasters.
The program is expected to generate at least an extra $80 million investment from the major mobile phone carriers.
The Coalition will also work with the NBN to co-locate new mobile phone base stations with many of the NBN’s fixed wireless broadband towers that are being rolled out across regional Australia.
The Howard government made the elimination of mobile blackspots a national priority.