AN Albury youth has a dubious future, no respect for authority of any kind and wears an anti-social attitude like a badge of honour according to information provided to a magistrate yesterday.
A sentencing report prepared on him by the Probation and Parole Service described the youth as brash, unrepentant, with an attitude varying from arrogance to ambivalence and no fear of custody.
Solicitor Dione Garwell said the youth, 17, does not understand the consequences of his offending.
It prompted magistrate Tony Murray to say: “I would have thought any young person would be terrified about going into custody when you are only 17 years of age.”
He appeared in Albury Children’s Court for sentencing on two counts of indecent assault on a girl, 14, and contravening an apprehended violence order.
Two counts of disqualified driving against him were dealt with in Albury Local Court.
The youth was banned from driving for 12 months when he appeared in court on November 13 last year. But he was caught driving on May 31 and was put on stringent bail conditions in July, including a curfew.
Police caught him driving about 10.50pm on August 10 which breached his 8pm curfew.
The youth indecently assaulted a girl last year. She made efforts to get away from him and a friend kicking him in the groin.
Ms Garwell said a psychologist’s report indicates the youth has had a difficult childhood, lives a transient lifestyle and has been post traumatic stress disorder which includes anger outbursts.
Mr Murray said the youth has absolutely no victim empathy.
“He has grown up in an environment where those situations are considered the norm,” Ms Garwell said.
Mr Murray said the youth has a dysfunctional background, claims he was sexually assaulted as a child and began smoking cannabis when 12.
He has been assessed under a juvenile sex offender protocol which says he has an elevated risk of re-offending.
Mr Murray said the youth tried to minimise the offences, lacked any signs of remorse and claimed the girl was flirting with him.
The youth was convicted on the indecent assaults and given 12-month suspended control orders with supervision.
He was convicted on the disqualified driving charges and received seven-month suspended jail terms along with a three-year disqualification from November 13 this year.