GARRY and Mary Webster have had a tough initiation since taking over the lease of Walwa’s Riverside Caravan Park last year.
The couple arrived six days before the March 5 flood that wiped out the park’s main and secondary amenities blocks.
Now, after spending $180,000, both blocks are back in operation, along with a new toilet for the disabled.
The park is now open for business for the cod season that opens in December, the Christmas holiday period and Easter next year.
Mr Webster said they had almost filled the park’s 65-powered sites, 20 without power and four cabins for Christmas and Easter.
A $29,000 emergency grant from last year’s Victorian flood program and work by members of Walwa’s tourist park committee of management helped them restore the second amenities block and that allowed the park to partially re-open in July.
Towong Council’s insurance policy covered the main amenities building and the Department of Environment and Primary Industries paid a $50,000 excess to get the work done.
“The facilities are better than they were before the flood, so that is a positive,” Mr Webster said.
“Our main amenities block was made of mud brick, but its exterior is now stronger.
“The original floor, toilets, roof and structure are still in place, but the showers were washed away and they have been replaced.
“We were out of action for a few months, but we’re getting back on our feet thanks to the committee of management, the department and the council.”
Mr Webster said the park’s Murray River frontage and a nearby boat ramp should attract plenty of anglers for the cod season.
“It is a great little spot,” he said.
“The grey nomads come and go on a regular basis.
“Some who stay here have been coming for 35 years.”
The department’s manager of property services for the Hume region, Therese Davis, said it was important for the Walwa community that its caravan park was open for business and doing well.