YARRAWONGA has confirmed Brendan Fevola’s future at the club is safe, despite the former AFL star being declared bankrupt.
The Federal Circuit Court in Brisbane heard yesterday the former Carlton and Brisbane star owed more than $60,000 in unpaid debts, consisting of about $15,500, $45,500 and $7000 owed to three creditors.
But the Pigeons weren’t concerned when contacted yesterday.
Yarrawonga president Glenn Brear said the Pigeons would stand by their superstar forward.
“We’re fully behind Brendan,” Brear said.
“We fully support him.”
Fevola will attend the Pigeons’ best and fairest awards at Yarrawonga on Saturday.
The Border Mail did speak with Fevola, however, he did not wish to make any public comment on the matter.
A bankruptcy notice was served on Fevola in May and he failed to comply, the court heard.
Fevola, who recently played in back-to-back premierships with the Pigeons, was not in court on Wednesday.
However, registrar Murray Belcher said he was satisfied the documents had been served on Fevola and the debt was still owing.
“I am satisfied that the act of bankruptcy alleged ... has been committed by the respondent,” Belcher said.
“I see no reason not to make the order against the estate of Brendan Fevola.”
He ordered the creditors’
costs be paid from Fevola’s estate.
It’s understood one of the matters involves a loan of about $7000 made to Fevola by builder Lou Menniti in 2011.