A GROUP of elderly tourists got more than they bargained for yesterday when their bus caught fire at Tawonga.
The 40 tourists from Newcastle, their driver and tour guide, were forced to evacuate the bus when its engine caught fire about 10am.
A fuel leak is believed to be the cause of the blaze.
It took fire crews from Tawonga, Dederang and Mount Beauty 20 minutes to put out the fire at the intersection of the Kiewa Valley Highway and Redback Road.
None of the tour group on the 48-seat bus was injured.
Tawonga CFA captain Steve Rigoni said some passengers appeared distressed by the incident.
“The bus was fully on fire — it was in the cabin,” Mr Rigoni said.
“The back of the bus was destroyed.”
Another bus was called to take the group back to its accommodation in Albury Wodonga.