St John training handy for Mykayla

A girl, 10, has made her St John Ambulance volunteer grandmother proud after saving her sister from swallowing medication she found in her mother’s handbag.

Mykayla Fenn, who has been a junior with St John for 18 months, saw Amelia, 3, with a full Advil tablet — a brand of ibuprofen — in her mouth.

“How I realised was she had a weird face and was grinning,” she said.

“I got my fingers in and scooped it out.”

Her grandmother Helen van Duursen said she was proud of her granddaughter’s quick thinking.

“It could have led to a more serious situation,” she said.

Mykayla said she wanted to be a nurse just like her grandmother.

“I think it would be nice to follow grandma where she works,” she said.

Mrs van Duursen said she was thrilled.

“My grandmother and mother were nurses and now my granddaughter,” she said.

The girls’ mum Amanda said she “freaked out” when told what happened.

“Thankfully she was there and knew what to do from what she’d learnt at St John’s,” she said.

Mrs van Duursen has received a St John 30 years of service award and will receive a Queen’s Honorary Award in Sydney in May.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop