Police have praised the quick action of firefighters for avoiding “quite a bit of damage” in a Wodonga workshop fire yesterday.
They said recycled oil drums had caught fire, putting nearby buildings at risk.
But firefighters had arrived at Drum Traders on Trafalgar Street within minutes of the fire starting at 6am and controlled the flames in 30 minutes.
Wodonga detective leading-constable Ian Deverell said investigators believed spontaneous combustion of two flammable substances caused the blaze.
He said the damage bill could be up to $10,000 for the small part of the shed damaged.
Wodonga volunteer Gerard Peeters said firefighters had been wary of explosions.
They had also feared a next-door building and could go up in flames.