Aerosol can blamed after worker burned

A BUILDING apprentice suffered burns to his face, neck and hands after an incident in Tawonga South yesterday.

The 19-year-old Duggan & Hanlon Constructions employee was burnt about 3pm.

An employee at the Kiewa Valley Highway business, who did not give his name, said it appeared the man had thrown an aerosol can into a fire.

“As far as we can ascertain, that’s what’s happened,” he said.

Staff were waiting for an update on the man’s condition last night.

The Victorian WorkCover Authority was notified of the incident, and inspectors are likely to investigate the matter this week.

“The Victorian WorkCover Authority is aware of an incident and is making enquiries,” spokeswoman Kate Fawcett said.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said the man had been taken to Albury hospital in a serious but stable condition.

The burns were not considered life-threatening, he said.

Albury firefighters were also called to an incident in Lavington about 6.10pm yesterday.

Albury central station officer Alex Marschall said a person had tried to use petrol to ignite a backyard fire.

The petrol exploded and led to minor burns.

“People need to be aware of the explosive forces of fuel and flammable liquids and avoid using them at all costs,” he said.

“The gasses spread and the ignition will go as far as the gasses go, with quite a bit of force.

“They can cause quite a bit of damage.”

Firefighters also responded to a power pole fire which cut off electricity to dozens of homes near Albury TAFE last night.

According to Essential Energy, 88 customers were without power from about 5.45pm.

The blackout covered homes in the Poole Street, Sackville Street, Nerinda Avenue, Holmwood Cross and Morningside Place areas.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop