Victim flees belting then hit at home

TWO men have faced court on 37 assault charges after an incident in Benalla on Wednesday afternoon.

The Benalla men, 19 and 18, are accused of approaching a man in Ballantine Street about 2.45pm Wednesday.

Police said the 24-year-old victim was seriously assaulted by two men who then followed him home before assaulting him a second time.

“They have approached the victim, an argument has ensued and he’s been assaulted in the street,” Detective Sen-Constable Simon Hunter said.

“He’s received serious injuries from both offenders and he’s managed to run home.

“About 3.30pm the two offenders have gone to his house, forced entry and assaulted him again.

“Both have assaulted him and punched him inside his house.”

One of the men is accused of picking up a pair of bolt cutters and threatening to kill the occupants of the home.

The victim’s phone and cash were also allegedly stolen from inside the house.

“They’ve left the premises and the victim attended Benalla police station with bruising to his neck, torso and head, concussion, and a possible broken jaw,” Sen-Constable Hunter said.

“Two males were arrested and they were remanded on Wednesday night.”

They faced Wangaratta Magistrates Court yesterday and did not apply for bail.

The 19-year-old has been charged with 24 offences including theft, aggravated burglary, recklessly causing serious injury and other assault charges.

The younger man is facing 13 charges including aggravated burglary, theft and serious assault charges.

The assaults are alleged to have occurred near housing commission homes on Ballantine Street.

Sen-Constable Hunter did not say what had led to the argument, but said it had been a “neighbourhood dispute”.

The men will reappear before the Wangaratta Magistrates Court for a committal mention on November 6.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop