Bronwynne Richardson murder | Newey will face court in Albury

THE alleged killer of Bronwynne Richardson will face Albury Court in October after refusing to eyeball a Sydney magistrate yesterday.

Colin Michael Newey, 61, stayed in cells below the Central Court rather than enter the dock on charges relating to the murder, abduction and rape of Miss Richardson, 17, in Albury in October 1973.

His reluctance to appear before magistrate Les Mabbutt came after he was arrested in the South Australian town of Murray Bridge on Wednesday and flown to Sydney on Thursday where he was escorted through the airport terminal by police.

Newey did not seek bail, which was formally refused.

He was ordered to appear before Albury Court on October 13.

“Given the nature of the charge, bail is refused,” Mr Mabbutt said.

Police will allege Mr Newey initiated his own undoing after watching a television program while at home at Murray Bridge in 1989.

The October 9 show linked notorious paedophile Mr Stinky to the murder of Miss Richardson.

The following day, Mr Newey allegedly made a chilling phone call to Murray Bridge police station to gloat that he was somehow involved in Miss Richardson’s death and that the program he viewed the day before was incorrect.

It was 25 years until fresh information from a 2011 coronial inquest held in Albury linked Mr Newey to the phone call he allegedly made.

Police will allege Miss Richardson was abducted in a car outside a church on Smollett Street on the evening of October 12, 1973 and taken to the Horseshoe Lagoon area on the Murray River west of Albury.

Miss Richardson’s battered body was found two days later.

The breakthrough in the case and the efforts of police were yesterday applauded by NSW Premier Mike Baird, who was visiting Albury.

“I absolutely pay tribute to the police,” Mr Baird said.

“What an amazing story to be so persistent after such a long time.

“My hat goes off to them.

“It is an incredible piece of work and I am so proud of them.

“I just think of the family and the community.

“Imagine living with that for all these years and be on the cusp of justice.

“No one can put words around that.

“My heart, thoughts and prayers go to family and friends.

“This must hopefully bring closure to something so horrific you can’t imagine.”


- Colin Newey charged after 40 years

- The crime that rocked a little town

- Arrest brings new hope to her family

- Selfless person who loved children 

2011 Year in Review: Looking back on the 2011 inquest

2011 inquest:Family lives in hope that justice will be done

2011 inquest: Max Martin released from jail the same day

2011 inquest:The years haven't healed mother's broken heart

2011 inquest:Geoffrey Brown's 'stalking behaviour' left woman in fear

2011 inquest: Cousin Peter Newy was probed by police over death

2011 inquest: Abduction witness Wayne Leitch was 'ignored by police'

2011 inquest: Worker Ralph Treptow recognised driver as Geoffrey Brown

2011 inquest: Geoffrey Brown called nearby site his special thinking place

2011 inquest: Colin Newey tells inquest of admission

2011 inquest: Anonymous call led to Ross Eames

2011 inquest: Silence ended bid to try Geoffrey Brown

2011 inquest:"Bronnie, you're going to die"

2011 inquest: Two named as persons of interest

2009: Witnesses recalled in 35-year-old murder mystery

2003: 30 years can't ease the pain