THE Hill family will be hitting the hills on Sunday.
Karen and Preston Hill have entered The Border Mail Fed Hill Challenge with their children Joseph, 8, and Aiden, 5, and cousin Declan Pearce.
The boys are set to enter the five-kilometre event at Willow Park from 10am.
Online entries at fedhillchallenge.com.au close tomorrow at 5pm.
Volunteers will be at the Wodonga Athletic Club in Pearce Street, opposite White Box Rise shops, on Saturday morning between 9.30am and noon to take entries and hand out race bibs.
Late entries will be taken on race day from 8am to 9.30am.
This week’s tips are from Healthfocus Physiotherapy’s Nathan Sceriha:
- Eat a nutritious breakfast high in carbohydrates, such as some oats, to fuel your body. The kids might enjoy a pre-race banana to give them an added burst. Remember water is important both before and after the run, so have a glass with breakfast.
- Get to Willow Park early to sign in, get your number and start your pre-race routine. Gentle stretching and a light warm up is ideal to get your muscles ready for the hill that waits. Being at the start early can help settle pre-run nerves.
- With a sunny 19 degrees predicted for the day, make sure the kids have sunscreen and hats organised.
- Have clear instructions with younger children so they understand not to run too far ahead of mum and dad. For the older children make sure they understand where to meet after the race. Be clear about who is running together and be sure to support and motivate each other.
- If you have strollers, wait until the main field is clear to allow easy access for yourself and fellow runners.