JEVON Mastenbroek was yesterday banned from driving until 2017 after appearing in Albury Local Court for sentencing on traffic offences.
Mastenbroek, 21, of Albury, was put on 18-month bonds on charges of disqualified driving and dangerous driving, along with fines of $400 for each offence.
He was fined a total of $900 for driving with the low-range prescribed concentration of alcohol and using an unregistered and uninsured car.
Mastenbroek was previously banned until January 8 next year, but magistrate Tony Murray extended the period by two years.
His wayward driving along Wagga Road at Lavington in April attracted attention as his vehicle slid sideways and he narrowly avoided oncoming traffic.
He had recently drunk alcohol and a check revealed Mastenbroek’s probationary licence in Victoria had been disqualified until December 9, 2015.
Mastenbroek told police: “I thought it was just disqualified in Victoria. Things are getting worse, aren’t they?”
Police said Mastenbroek’s driving put himself, a male passenger and other road users in extreme danger.
He had shown a complete disregard for the safety of others and the ban on his driving.
Mastenbroek drove out of McDonald’s in Wagga Road about 10.10pm on April 11 and accelerated harshly, spinning his rear wheels, and the car turned at right angles to the direction of traffic.
It veered into the northbound lanes in front of oncoming vehicles.
But he managed to regain control and avoid a collision before acknowledging to police he had been stupid.