Wodonga High School’s Belvoir Magazine 1955 - precis reported:
“The school was opened in 1857 and was known as School No. 378, Belvoir. In 1862 the Board of Education took control and called it Belvoir School No. 37 – later known as No. 37, Wodonga. In 1938 it was made a Higher Elementary School and in 1954 it reached the status of a High School.”
In 1954 four house names were introduced at the school and are still in use today.
In 1870 Mr Edwin Davis became headmaster and with the help of his wife and son James, taught in a single room which soon proved to be too small, so they moved to temporary quarters until more rooms were built. When appointed to Wodonga school he, his wife and four children travelled in a horse-drawn wagon.
One of the most loved teachers ever to be connected with the Wodonga School was Miss Edith Gartner, who came in 1907 when there were only two members of staff. She became like "a second mother" to the children in her charge.
Ill health forced her to retire in 1929 after 22 years at Wodonga and 45 years teaching altogether.
Charles Thomas Keam was born in 1856 and in 1886 was appointed headmaster at Wodonga. He remained at the school until his retirement in 1916. His ability as a teacher was shown by the high standard of the school.
Sir John Richards Harris, K.B.E, was born at Chiltern in 1868. He completed his secondary education at Ballarat and proceeded to the University of Melbourne, where he obtained his Bachelor of Medicine in 1890, Bachelor of Surgery in 1891 and his Doctorate of Medicine in 1902. He practised medicine at Rutherglen for 25 years. During the war, he was a medical officer in the Australian Corps. He returned to the district and in 1927 was created a Knight of the British Empire. In 1920 he was elected to the legislative council as a member and retained the position for the rest of his life.