Albury Thunder's Andrew Smith hoping to have four-game ban reduced at judiciary

Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith

ALBURY hooker Andrew Smith will front a Group Nine judiciary next week in a bid to have a four-game suspension reduced on the grounds of his playing record. 

Smith was sent off late in the Thunder’s loss to Gundagai at Greenfield Park last Sunday. 

He was offered a four week ban after the incident was classified as high grade but has elected to contest the suspension.

“He’s trying to get some information together from other groups about his playing record,” Group Nine operations manager Peter Ryan said. 

“He’s indicated his record is clean and he’s trying to get some leniency for good behaviour.”

With a general bye for the long weekend, the hearing has been held over until next week. 

Players with a clean record for five years in Group Nine can automatically earn a reduction in penalty.

Smith has previously played in Group 20, Group Two and Group 16. 

“It’ll have to go to the judiciary to be resolved,” Ryan said. 

“He hasn’t been within the group for five years but he’s saying he hasn’t done anything wrong before, that he hasn’t been sent off before.”

Albury are away to Junee on Sunday week, followed by games against Tumbarumba, Temora and Wagga Brothers, before a bye.