Sex assault justice out of father’s hands

A man who planned to take punishment for the sexual assault of his daughter into his own hands has now agreed to let the justice system take its course.

The 45-year-old had told counsellors last month of his plot to torture and kill the male who allegedly assaulted his 14-year-old daughter, leading police to arrest him on Friday. They described the man as “icy” when telling them about his plans involving a hose and barbed wire.

Magistrate David Faram said he had taken a cautious approach to the case, but he was satisfied the man – who cannot be named to protect the identity of his daughter – had addressed his psychological issues.

He sentenced him to a 12-month good behaviour bond, without conviction, with the condition to continue mental health treatment.

Mr Faram said although he was a father himself and understood the feeling of wanting to protect a child, justice needed to be allowed to take its course, even if it moved slowly.

“None of that can translate into violence or threats of violence, but I’m satisfied you’re not going to carry them out,” he said.

“Certainly the threats that were made were significant, serious and concerning.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop