Springdale Heights home destroyed by fire

A SPRINGDALE Heights house was destroyed by fire on Sunday after cooking oil was left unattended on a stove.

Albury Central fire brigade station commander Glenn Kimpton said a man, his teenage son and two dogs evacuated safely from the Kiama Street home.

The single level brick house was well alight when fire crews arrived soon after 5pm.

“They started firefighting from the outside and kept it that way so it wouldn’t travel anywhere,” Mr Kimpton said.

“It was too dangerous to go in, they weren’t going to be able to save it so they just took up defensive fire fighting.”

The blaze took about an hour to bring under control, with three fire engines and about 20 fire fighters attending.

Mr Kimpton said the occupant had taken a shower forgetting there was cooking oil on the stove.

“Got out of the shower, it was well and truly alight, chucked a doona over the top of it and it kept going, burned the whole place out,” the station commander said.

“They got out all safe, but lost everything.” 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop