Woman suffers burns to her face

INJURED: A woman is taken on a stretcher to hospital after being burnt.
INJURED: A woman is taken on a stretcher to hospital after being burnt.

A woman suffered facial burns after she attempted to light garden waste with petrol at Wendouree on Tuesday afternoon.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said paramedics attended the residential address along Browns Parade about 2pm.

“A woman believed to be in her 60s suffered facial burns and burns to one of her hands,” she said.

“She was taken to Ballarat Base Hospital in a stable condition.”

It’s believed there was a small explosion as the fuel was ignited.

Ballarat City Fire Brigade senior station officer Darren Power said it appeared the woman had tried to light green waste but was not prepared for the flash.

“Fuel should only be used for its intended purposes,” he said.

Authorities have previously stressed the importance of not using accelerants such as petrol and kerosene to start fires. Flames can follow the vapours of an accelerant back up to the source such as a person’s hand.

This story Woman suffers burns to her face first appeared on The Courier.