Wangaratta Rovers star Dylan Stone sidelined following surgery

REIGNING Wangaratta Rovers best and fairest Dylan Stone will be sidelined until midway through next season following major surgery.

Dylan Stone will miss at least half of next season following surgery.

Dylan Stone will miss at least half of next season following surgery.

Stone underwent a three-hour operation in Melbourne earlier this week where the femoral bone in his left leg was broken and rotated to fix an abnormality.

“It was a pretty hefty surgery,” the talented midfielder said.

“I had two arthroscopes a few years ago and that’s when they found out it was crooked.

It hasn’t affected my footy but I had to get it done now or my future would have been dark

Dylan Stone

“I was going to get it done then, but my growth plates weren’t closed.

“It hasn’t affected my footy but I had to get it done now or my future would have been dark.”

Stone, who had the surgery on Monday, enjoyed a break-out season for Wangaratta Rovers with the speedster edging out coach Sam Carpenter for the Bob Rose Medal.

He said it was a relief to have had the operation.

“At least it’s behind me now and I can get the rehab done and get back on the deck,” he said.

“It will probably be seven or eight weeks before I can start moving around much.

“Round nine is my hope for footy but I guess I’ll wait and see it goes.”

The 21-year-old’s injury will test the young Wangaratta Rovers side who look set to rely on their talented under-18 list to push into senior ranks.

Alex Marklew and Lachie Raven have returned to W.J. Findlay Oval.