The first of four Albury properties known to contain loose-fill asbestos was demolished on Monday, after the dangerous material had been removed from the site.
Member for Albury Greg Aplin said the Stephen Street home, bought by the government under its voluntary purchase and demolition program, would eventually be put up for sale.
He said it was the only property of the four affected where both the house and land was sold to the government.
“After the action taken today to demolish the house, all materials will be safely disposed of and they will remediate the land to make sure the earth is free of any contamination,” he said.
“It will then be signed off by the EPA and in the normal course of events it will be put on the market.”
Mr Aplin said the process for removal and demolition was extremely safe.
“Very few properties were identified in Albury which is good news as less people have been affected and have to make a difficult decision.”