Drugs found after Albury cop chase

AN alleged unlicensed driver had led police on a short pursuit in East Albury, Albury Local Court heard yesterday.

He then stopped and ripped up plastic bags containing drugs while his vehicle was being searched.

Police had chased Jordan Frank Clarke, 19, for little more than a kilometre after they tried to stop his Holden utility in East Albury late on Sunday.

A police vehicle blocked his path in Borella Road and forced him out of the utility.

But when they started to search it, Clarke started to rip up three resealable bags.

He and threw them on the ground with another bag containing methamphetamine.

Police found more of the drug scattered in the vehicle and Clarke admitted it was ice and that it belonged to him.

His eyes were dilated and Clarke allegedly told police he had used the drug that day.

Two knives were found in his utility.

Clarke was taken to hospital for blood and urine samples.

He later he changed his story and told police he had used ice a few days before.

Clarke, of Sangers Road, Lavington appeared in court in custody on charges of unlicensed driving, failing to obey a police direction, using a vehicle in breach of a defect notice, possessing a prohibited drug, custody of a knife and resisting arrest.

Tendered police facts stated that Clarke had been convicted in Albury on October 22 for unlicensed driving.

He had been stopped in the same vehicle on December 23 and a defect notice was issued for bald tyres.

On Sunday, police were told of a possible drug supply in Bernhardt Street.

Officers saw a vehicle reverse from a driveway without lights.

Clarke didn’t stop after police turned on their lights. So police followed him and sounded their siren.

Clarke accelerated harshly along several streets before pulling over with police blocking his path.

Acting police prosecutor Sgt Lee McCarthy opposed bail, but solicitor Andrea MacDonald said Clarke was a long-time resident and agreed to a curfew.

Clarke was allowed bail and must report three times a week, keep a 9pm-6am curfew and not sit in the driver’s seat of any vehicle.

He was bailed to appear in court on January 15.