Stabbing mars New Year's Eve festivities

A man was stabbed in a brawl at Lorne and two people suffered burns during New Year's Eve celebrations in Melbourne.

Police administered first aid and drove a man to hospital after breaking up a fight on the Lorne foreshore, Victoria Police spokeswoman Belle Nolan said.

"Police were patrolling near the intersection of Mountjoy Parade and Grove Road and they witnessed an altercation between a group of people at 11.45pm," she said.

"They've gone over, and broke up what was going on and they've spoken to an 18-year-old man who told them he'd been stabbed in the chest.

"Police actually administered first aid themselves at the scene and they also took the victim themselves to the Lorne Hospital and from there he was airlifted to The Alfred [hospital] in a stable condition."

Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokesman Trevor Woodward said a 22-year-old man suffered burns to his left arm after a firework exploded in his hand at Mount Waverley, while an 18-year-old woman burned both hands and one leg after falling into a fire at Mentone.

Police are investigating the fireworks incident, which happened about midnight at a Pamela Street home.

Investigators believe the Chadstone man was holding fireworks in his left hand when the device exploded, causing burns to his forearm and hand.

He was taken to The Alfred with medium-level burns.

Mr Woodward said firefighters rescued three dogs spooked by fireworks.

"One of note was in Sunshine West where a dog got well and truly wedged in a fence," he said.

"It was bleeding, it was in quite a deal of pain.

"The crews managed to release the dog – it took about 15 minutes to get the dog released from the fence – but it was a stray and no one around wanted to take responsibility for the dog, so the crews actually took it back to the fire station so they could look after it and get the council ranger to come and pick it up from the fire station.

"At least they gave it some TLC because the poor thing had been in a lot of pain and had been scared totally out of its wits."

Nearby in Albion, several homes were evacuated after a single-storey weatherboard house was destroyed in a suspicious fire.

Mr Woodward said the blaze at the Ridley Street home was reported about 5.30am.

"They had to evacuate a two-storey block of units on one side and a double-storey house on the other – it was burning that fiercely."

Anyone with information about the Lorne stabbing is urged to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

This story Stabbing mars New Year's Eve festivities first appeared on The Age.