Head-on horror: Woman killed in tanker crash

A WOMAN was killed early yesterday when the car she was driving and a milk tanker collided on the Murray Valley Highway west of Rutherglen.

Acting Sgt Mal Burdett, of Wodonga highway patrol, said the crash happened at Boorhaman just after midnight.

He said the woman, 24, was driving west when her Toyota station wagon veered into the path of the milk tanker.

The woman was killed instantly in the head-on collision.

She was from the Melbourne suburb of Strathmore, although she had been working in the Wodonga area.

Sgt Burdett said the highway was closed for several hours while emergency services cleared the scene and police crash scene investigators undertook a forensic inspection of the site.

“Police are calling for any witnesses, of course,” he said.

“Given this accident, we’d really like people to take care on the roads.”

It is not known if speed or alcohol were contributing factors.

“Police are continuing their investigations,” Sgt Burdett said.

“We don’t know the circumstances of why or how the vehicle ended up on the other side of the road.”

Anyone with information about the crash can contact Wodonga police on (02) 6049 2600 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Meanwhile, police stopped a drink-driver with a blood-alcohol level more than four times the legal limit on Saturday.

The man, stopped at the Anzac Parade McDonald’s, had a reading of 0.197 — when he was restricted to a zero and should have had an interlock fitted to his vehicle.

The 45-year-old Bonegilla man will face several charges, including one of talking on a mobile phone while driving.

He was detected by police at 11pm after they saw him speaking on his phone.

Also on Saturday Wodonga police pulled over a motorcyclist who tested positive for methamphetamine.

The motorcyclist will have three tests done on his sample — the first was done at the scene and the second at the Wodonga police station.

A third test will be sent to Melbourne for further analysis, a process that could take up to four weeks to produce a result.

The 47-year-old Wodonga man was pulled over while heading north along Melrose Drive.