Stepfather’s threat to ‘smash’ principal

A NORTH Albury man is banned from contacting Murray High School at Lavington or going within 100 metres of the grounds after threatening to “smash in” the principal’s face.

Sheldon Luke Madeley, 28, made the threat after he asked to have his stepson leave school early.

After talking to the vice-principal and administration staff, Madeley made offensive remarks to the principal.

Police were called because of fears for the safety of the staff.

Magistrate Tony Murray told Madeley in Albury Local Court yesterday a strong message was needed to deter other parents from such actions.

Mr Murray said teachers had a statutory liability to look after students.

“It is an important function they discharge. Parents should behave properly,” he said.

“Your behaviour was totally unacceptable. The administration staff do not have to put up with that.”

Madeley pleaded guilty to using a carriage service to menace or harass and entering prescribed premises without excuse.

He was fined $350 for entering the school grounds and received a three-month suspended sentence which remains in force for two years on the other charge.

When asked the reasons for his actions, Madeley said: “Stupidity”.

He said he knew the seriousness of his actions and was trying to get help for anger management.

A condition of the suspended sentence prevents him contacting any staff member with his stepson still attending the school.

Madeley rang the school about 2.30pm on January 31 asking for his stepson to be allowed out early and meet him at the front gate.

The principal agreed, but said the student had to be signed out and soon after another phone call was received.

The situation was explained to Madeley who said: “That’s not good enough. I want him here now”.

The principal advised the student to tell his parents school finished at 3.30pm, but allowed him to leave the building.

When another phone call was received, the deputy principal told Madeley he could not enter the school grounds.

Madeley demanded to speak to the principal, was put through and made the threat to smash the principal’s face.

Madeley made another comment about the principal finishing in the gutter.

The phone call was terminated and the police contacted.