Teacher bailed on sex charges 

A TEACHER has indicated his intention to resign from his job after being charged with eight sexual assault matters involving his stepdaughter at the family’s home in Lavington.

The man, 46, who cannot be named, appeared in custody in Albury Local Court yesterday.

He faced four counts of indecent assault on a person under 16, three counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of aggravated indecency with someone under his authority.

The charges were laid by police from the Albury-based child abuse squad following a complaint to them on January 1 by the 15-year-old victim.

It is alleged the girl was touched by her stepfather on the breasts and vagina on occasions between December 28 and 31.

The man was arrested on January 2 and made admissions to police about four offences related to touching and kissing the victim’s breasts.

Magistrate Tony Murray was told in tendered police facts the man was unable to offer any explanation for his actions.

Solicitor Andrea MacDonald said when applying for bail the man was due to resume teaching on January 28.

“It is his intention to resign from the department,” Ms MacDonald said.

Police prosecutor Sgt Shannon Lewis opposed bail saying there was a concern the man could commit further offences.

“These are serious allegations over a period of time,” Sgt Lewis said.

“The protection and welfare of the victim is paramount.”

Sgt Lewis said if found guilty, the man was facing a custodial penalty, but Ms MacDonald said he could live with his parents in Wodonga.

Mr Murray said two of the charges against the man were strictly indictable.

“In my view, it is a strong prosecution case,” he said.

Mr Murray granted bail, saying the man had no criminal convictions and had strong community ties.

He was released on $5000 bail, with a $4000 surety and a $1000 cash deposit, requiring he report weekly to police.

A bail condition is that the man must not engage in any form of employment involving children.

Also, he must not enter NSW unless attending court, legal conferences or reporting to police.

Mr Murray adjourned the charges until March 3 for the preparation of a police evidence brief.

He continued an interim apprehended violence order taken out against the man by police for the victim’s protection.