Jail term for stab attack

A MAN who held his girlfriend captive and terrorised her before inflicting a stab wound to her leg with a kitchen knife has been jailed for four years by a District Court judge in Albury.

Judge Ross Letherbarrow imposed a minimum term of two years and six months on David Marshall on a series of charges.

The earliest release date for Marshall, 49, is June next year with the sentence backdated to when he went into custody in September 2012.

He pleaded guilty in November to charges of detaining a person with intent to obtain a psychological advantage, reckless wounding, assault and intimidation.

But the matter was adjourned until the present District Court sittings with barrister Christine Mendes seeking a psychological report on Marshall.

He had been in a relationship with the victim, 40, for about 15 months when she obtained an apprehended violence order against him in August 2012 due to unrelated matters.

She stayed with him at his unit on September 23 and the following day they both rode bicycles from North Albury into Albury.

They consumed alcohol at a hotel before going to First Choice Liquor, where Marshall stole a 750 millilitre bottle of vodka.

The victim bought some alcohol for herself, called a maxi-taxi and they were driven to his unit where they drank alcohol and listened to music.

When the victim attempted to leave, Marshall grabbed her bag and pushed her onto a fold-out bed and then got a knife from the kitchen.

He stabbed her in the left thigh and then pressed his finger into the bleeding wound.

She got up to leave again but was pushed back down before Marshall flicked a couple of lit matches in her direction.

After detaining her for more than three hours, he told her to get out about 6am.

She ran about 100 metres to Mate Street, where she sought assistance from a man.

Marshall then ran from Curlew Street and chased the man.

But the man managed to phone the police, who arrived along with an ambulance a short time later.

Police used a Taser to subdue Marshall after he confronted them with two knives.

The victim’s DNA was found on the blade of a 20 centimetre-knife.

She was treated at hospital for a wound about three centimetres wide and 10 centimetres deep.