Bail granted after drugs, cash found

A CLOSE associate of an Albury man allegedly running an ice supply syndicate was released on bail from court yesterday.

Shaun Stephen Barr appeared in custody in Albury Local Court following his arrest, with police saying he has been trying to avoid them.

Barr, 27, of Danes Street, Lavington, has been charged with four counts of supplying a prohibited drug and one count of supplying more than the indictable quantity of a drug.

Magistrate Megan Greenwood was told police from the Albury drug unit began Strike Force Omo in January to target drug supplying by Jarrod Groves in the local area.

A telephone intercept warrant enabled officers to monitor mobile phone and text messages made and received by Groves.

There were more than 10,000 intercepts and it’s alleged 90 per cent related to drug supplying with Barr’s involvement identified.

Police found calls by Barr related to the supply of drugs to Groves and other associates.

Calls between them were intercepted on January 23 and on January 30 with Barr offering to supply three grams of ice for $1800 on the second occasion.

A warrant was granted to search a motel room in Young Street on February 8 where police found Barr and a woman.

The woman had a small resealable bag of crystal substance in her track suit pants pocket and she admitted it was ice.

Two ice pipes were found in a tooth brush carrier and one of them was broken.

A wad of folded cash totalling $5500 wrapped with an elastic band was found in the master bedroom on the floor between the bed and a table.

Both Barr and the woman denied any knowledge of the money and said they had not seen it.

Inside a wardrobe was a bum bag on a rail which had two ice pipes, a set of scales and plastic bag with 14 grams of methamphetamine, which had a street value of about $4200.

The woman and Barr denied any knowledge of the bag and drug.

But Barr said they had numerous visitors the previous night and it most likely belonged to one of them, but he was unable to identify any of those people.

Barr was subsequently identified by fingerprints on the set of scales.

Police contacted Barr three times in March and arranged for him to attend the station, but he failed to arrive and an arrest warrant was granted.

Ms Greenwood released Barr on $1000 bail with a $3000 surety and 9pm to 7am curfew with his charges adjourned until May 26.