Two admit affray over row between families

THE Ambryn and Murray families have had a dispute simmering for years.

It erupted in a violent confrontation early on December 15, Albury Local Court was told yesterday.

Kenneth Murray was walking along Stanley Street about 4am when he saw Donovan Bulmer and Colin Ambryn going the opposite way.

Mr Murray suggested the issues involved in a continuing family dispute had long been sorted out.

Bulmer didn’t go along with that — and Ambryn threatened to assault Mr Murray before punching him to the lip.

He backed away as Ambryn came on, throwing further punches to his face.

Bulmer likewise landed blows to Mr Murray’s face before backing away behind Ambryn.

The victim held his hands up to protect himself while retreating into the middle of the road.

He walked along Stanley Street towards Thurgoona Street to end the conflict.

Police went to Mr Murray’s home about 5am and he named his attackers.

Officers saw Bulmer in Thurgoona Street on December 20 and spoke to him about what happened.

“He disrespected my family,” Bulmer told them.

“Colin and I were walking up there (indicating Stanley Street) and saw him.

“It’s been going on for years.”

Ambryn was asked by police to attend the station, but refused and warrants were issued that led to him being apprehended.

Bulmer, 19, and Ambryn, 29, of Cassia Street, Albury, each pleaded guilty yesterday to charges of affray.

Magistrate Tony Murray said Ambryn had been jailed before for violence offences.

Mr Murray ordered a pre-sentence report, continued Ambryn’s bail and adjourned his sentencing until June 3.

Bulmer, who has been in custody since December, was given a nine-month jail term with a minimum of five months expiring on May 19.

Solicitor Grant Gaynor said Bulmer has been addicted to drugs and alcohol from an early age, leading to his offending.

“He is hoping for a fresh start when he is released from custody,” Mr Gaynor said.

“There were some long-standing issues between these two families.”

Mr Murray made a 12-month apprehended violence order to protect Mr Murray from Bulmer.