Shoe print on man’s forehead

Albury Local Court
Albury Local Court

THE victim of a savage beating in North Albury last year suffered a fractured cheekbone, nose, ribs and a serious injury to his right eye, and was left with a distinctive shoe impression in his forehead, a court was told yesterday.

Police took a photograph of the imprint which was deep enough for experts to determine it was from the heel pattern of a Nike brand shoe.

The victim attended Albury Local Court yesterday to give evidence against Springdale Heights man Brian Leslie Bates, who had been charged with affray.

Bates failed to attend court. In his absence he was convicted, had his bail forfeited and magistrate Tony Murray issued a warrant for his arrest.

Bates, 20, is on Supreme Court bail for the affray offence and other charges.

The court was told in tendered police facts the victim had left his home in Logan Road on October 24 to walk to a service station in Mate Street for a drink.

He saw a man riding a small black motorcycle on a grassed area near the North Albury football ground.

Bates stood the bike up on its rear wheel, it flipped and he came off.

The victim chuckled about what happened, Bates took offence and started punching the victim, who fought back to defend himself.

But associates of Bates joined the fight, punched and kicked the victim to the ground where he was hit repeatedly.

Witnesses came over and the assailants fled with the pol- ice and an ambulance called.

Officers searched the area, but were unable to find any attackers.

The victim was taken to hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

It was about 2.15am on January 9 when the victim heard yelling from a house just a short distance from his home.

He got his dog, went to investigate and saw Bates riding the same small black motorcycle.

The victim yelled out to him: “Do you remember me?”

Bates replied: “I got you before and I’ll get you again.”

He rode towards the victim, who pulled his dog away from the motorcycle’s path.

Bates continued riding into Resolution Street where he was arrested by police.

When interviewed by police, Bates denied riding the bike in October and taking part in the assault on the victim.