Court told of terror ordeal

A WOMAN cowered in a locked bathroom crying and shaking, seeking police assistance after Christopher Robert Carlson broke into her central Albury home on Thursday night, a court heard yesterday.

Police quickly arrived at the scene and arrested Carlson, who had smashed a glass panel in the front door and left remnants of blood in the entry to the house, the lounge, hallway and a bedroom.

When he got to the police station, Carlson spat on the dock perspex several times before urinating on it.

He was asked whether he wanted to be interviewed, punched the dock and began a tirade of abuse to the woman custody manager.

“Do you want to have a go? I’ll kill you,” he told her.

“I’m going to cut you up and put you in the rubbish tip. You’ll be found out there in pieces.

“I’m not going to forget you. Every minute it takes me to get out of here, I’m going to stab you that many times.

“Every minute is a stab wound. I’m going to get you bitch. You’re messing with the wrong person.”

Carlson, 42, appeared in custody in Albury Local Court on charges of aggravated break and enter knowing a person was present, possessing housebreaking implements, damaging property, using offensive language and intimidating police.

Solicitor Jason Hanke said when making a release application that Carlson has labored under an alcohol addiction for 20 years.

He is unemployed and has been living at a caravan park in Wagga Road at Lavington for the past nine or 10 months.

Police prosecutor Sgt Steve Watterson opposed Carlson’s release.

Sgt Watterson said there was a strong police case and a risk Carlson would endanger the victims and the community, and may fail to appear.

Magistrate Tony Murray said Carlson presented a risk that could not be mitigated and refused bail.

Carlson will reappear in court through a video-link on July 28 after the preparation of a police evidence brief by July 18.

The court was told in tendered facts that the home invasion victim, 23, was at her Boyes Crescent residence about 9pm when she heard Carlson yelling abuse in the street and her driveway.

She looked out a window and saw him looking at her before he tried to open a wooden front door, which was locked.

The door has five panes of glass in it and Carlson began repeatedly banging them.

Fearful for her safety, the woman retreated to the bathroom, locked the door and rang the police.

While on the phone, she heard a glass panel in the door smash and Carlson rummaging around in a bedroom.

When police attended, Carlson swore at them and said: “It’s going to be on now.”

He refused to leave the house, advanced on officers, received a “check drill” and was arrested and handcuffed.