Meek and mild, for a short time

The Newmarket Store that was held-up.
The Newmarket Store that was held-up.

A COROWA youth yesterday pleaded guilty to the armed robbery of the Newmarket Store in East Albury earlier this year.

The youth, who was 13 at the time, had pleaded not guilty and it was listed for a defended hearing in Albury Children’s Court.

But following discussions between his solicitor, Grant Gaynor, and police prosecutor Sgt Shannon Lewis two charges were withdrawn and the youth pleaded guilty to a freshly-laid charge and two others.

The youth, now 14, pleaded guilty to robbery armed with an offensive weapon, demanding money with menaces and assaulting police.

Charges of stealing from a person and robbery armed with an offensive weapon were withdrawn.

Magistrate Tony Murray adjourned the youth’s sentencing until June 13 and ordered an updated Juvenile Justice Service report.

The youth went to the Newmarket Store on February 23 and had an older accomplice, 15, wait outside to keep watch.

When the youth went inside, he jumped the service counter with a silver knife in his hand.

The two women staff members, 61 and 60, were cleaning and balancing the registers before closing.

The youth grabbed a handful of cash, then a number of cigarette packets and before leaving said: “Call the cops and I’ll kill you”.

His accomplice was given $300 and four packets of cigarettes and they escaped along drains when they heard approaching police sirens.

Just 48 hours later, the youth attempted to rob a woman at her North Albury home.

He went to a house in Kooba Street, North Albury, about 7.40pm on February 25 and walked through an open garage and into a carport area.

Little more than three hours later, police received a phone call from a resident in Wantigong Street who said the youth wanted to surrender.

When police officers arrived at the house, he surrendered meekly with outstretched arms and was arrested.

But his demeanour changed when he attempted to spit on a detective at the police station.

The youth will also be sentenced on assault charges from incidents at the Reiby juvenile justice centre while he has been on remand.