Man injured in assault outside hotel

ALBURY police are seeking witnesses after a man was assaulted outside Brady’s Railway Hotel in one of several weekend incidents.

The victim, 37, suffered bruising to his face and a chipped tooth, and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

More than one person was involved in the assault, which occurred about 1am Saturday, but police are not releasing details of the offenders.

The weekend was also expensive for at least six pub patrons who were fined for swearing, urinating, intoxication and refusing to leave venues.

Inspector Anthony Moodie said police would continue to act against those who broke the law.

“These people will be receiving fines through the post this week and may be surprised at the amount and no doubt the imposition this will have on their finances,” he said.

“This will also serve as a warning to others who display a lack of respect to others in the community by their behaviour.”

A 22-year-old will receive a $500 fine for urinating against the wall of a business in Kiewa Street on Saturday night.

Another man was fined $550 for failing to quit and $1100 for failing to move on after being ejected from a Dean Street venue on Sunday morning.

A man, 37, was fined $500 for using offensive language in Dean Street and three others were fined a total of $3200 for other incidents in Albury.

Rutherglen police are also investigating several reported assaults at the Winery Walkabout.

Despite the incidents, Sergeant Brian Curran said most attendees were well behaved.

“There were two assaults that occurred at the wineries on Sunday afternoon,” he said.

“Police are investing those at the moment.

“Overall the crowds were well-behaved, but there are always a few people who ruin it for everyone.

“Unfortunately they showed their true colours.”

“There was only one person arrested for being drunk.

“He was a 29-year-old male from Tarneit who was drunk and resisting arrest at a winery.

“He’s received a penalty notice, which are quite expensive.”

A Mulwala woman, 45, was intercepted by police on Sunday morning and returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.068.

Police from several stations, including Wodonga, Chiltern and Corowa, patrolled Rutherglen at the weekend.