Stolen car hit 180 km/h

A LAVINGTON boy who drove a stolen car at 180 km/h and tried to elude police has been sentenced to a seven-month suspended control order.

The youth, 16, appeared for sentencing in Albury Children’s Court after the preparation of a report by Juvenile Justice.

He had previously pleaded guilty to charges of failing to stop in a police pursuit, driving a vehicle without consent of the owner, unlicensed driving and obtaining property by deception.

Solicitor Sue Robey said the youth was remorseful for his involvement.

“He says he was impulsive, stupid,” Ms Robey said.

Magistrate Tony Murray said the youth put himself, his passengers and innocent community members at risk.

“One of the aggravating features was the speed you were travelling,” Mr Murray said.

“There was a pursuit, but only for a short period of time. This is just such a lucky event.”

Mr Murray said parents and children were playing in a park when the youth drove through with the car out of control.

He was convicted and rec-eived the suspended control order for the first two offences with no convictions and $50 fines imposed on the others.

The owner of a Ford locked it in his garage on April 13, but found it gone early the next morning.

It was about 11.45am when the youth met three others who had the car at Lavington Square.

It was driven to a park at the end of Webb Street near Melrose Park and used to do burnouts.

The youth does not have a licence, but took over driving and reached a top speed of 180 km/h in a 50 km/h zone near Dick Road.

He went to a Union Road service station about 12.24pm, filled up with petrol and drove off without paying the $39.80 bill.

A few minutes later a police officer saw the car, checked the registration and realised it was stolen.

The police drove after the youth, activating their warning lights and siren to try to stop him.

The officer notified police radio of a pursuit and followed the car until it turned into parkland next to Colley Street.

But the youth had poor control of the car, which was sliding from side to side, and the pursuit was halted.

The car was found abandoned in Gayview Crescent and there was a foot pursuit through yards until the youth was caught in Turner Street.