Drug accused puts up $10,000 cash for bail

THE director of an Albury building company has been freed on $20,000 bail after appearing in court on 25 charges relating to supplying the drug “ice” and another of manufacturing a prohibited drug.

Jayme Robert Craze, 31, appeared in custody in Albury Local Court yesterday before magistrate Megan Greenwood.

She granted bail despite police opposition.

Detectives arrested him on Wednesday.

It is alleged Craze, of Rivergum Drive, made and supplied methamphetamine from his work premises in North Street.

Police say he deals with a drugs syndicate and they speak in codes.

He has used the internet to obtain glassware for drug manufacture and researched chemical processes and instructions for ice, police allege.

Ms Greenwood was told in tendered police facts that Craze has a self-admitted drug habit.

Evidence obtained suggests he has been involved in making drugs and getting precursors for them, it was claimed.

Police believe he has supplied drugs and used them on a daily basis.

Using intercept warrants, police monitored calls and text messages.

It is alleged Craze and an associate arranged to buy $20,000 of ice between December and this month to on-supply 56 grams, though calls indicate the drugs were destroyed by misadventure.

After his arrest Craze denied making drugs.

He has also been charged with acting to pervert the course of justice, which relates to an associate in early May seeking a reference from Craze to help prepare a pre-sentence report by NSW Probation and Parole.

Police prosecutor Sgt Rowan Harris opposed bail, saying three charges are indictable and Craze might offend further.

Solicitor Tim Hemsley said the police case revolved solely on the interpretation of intercepts and text messages and police hadn’t found drugs nor witnessed supplying.

Mr Hemsley said if Craze was refused bail, he would be in custody for a year before the case was finalised. Craze employs 15 people in his business.

Ms Greenwood released Craze with $10,000 cash having to be deposited by him, with two others providing $5000 each.

He has to report to police each Monday.

He’ll be back in court on August 25.