Accused bat-attacker in Springdale Heights brawl held in court

A HANDCUFFED defendant was refused bail yesterday over his alleged use of a baseball bat in a violent confrontation at Springdale Heights after the State of Origin match last month.

Telverne Williams, 25, appeared in custody in Albury Local Court with police seeking a detention order on charges of affray and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Police prosecutor Sgt Shannon Lewis opposed bail for community protection and said Williams was already on bail for other matters including a firearms offence listed in Albury next week.

Court registrar Wendy Howard said the latest charges alleged extreme violence and she rejected the application for bail.

Williams reacted by banging the bench in the dock and remonstrating loudly with Corrective Services officers when taken from court.

The court was told in tendered facts that a group of people was gathered in Glenelg Drive about 2.30am on June 19, several hours after the rugby match ended.

Williams and another man were yelling and screaming at the group and a neighbour had tried to calm them down.

Soon after Williams came running from behind the man and hit him once to the back of the head with a metal baseball bat.

The victim fell to the ground as Williams swung the bat and continued to yell and scream at everyone nearby.

The victim later told police he had lost consciousness after the hit.

When he woke, he walked home, fell on the front lawn and was found by his sister, who called an ambulance.

Albury hospital treated his cut nose, a cut on the top of his head and redness to the back of his neck.

That afternoon, police were allowed to enter a Glenelg Drive home and found a metal baseball bat.

Williams, of Narrandera, was put on bail on May 22 on condition he lived in that town.

Police arrested him in Lavington on Monday after seeing him as a passenger in a car — he had been evicted at Narrandera.

He will appear in court next week by video link from Junee jail.