Bronwynne Richardson murder | Looking back on the case

THE brutal murder of Corowa teenager Bronwynne Richardson was put under scrutiny for the third time with an inquest held late in the year in Albury.

Deputy State Coroner Carmel Forbes returned an open finding into the death after four days of evidence and recommended that NSW police from the cold case unit continue investigating.

But the agonising 38-year wait for answers continues for her family -- father and mother Stan and Noel, sisters Jannette, Helene and Fiona and brothers Robert and Garry.

Her parents and sisters attended the inquest which was told a reward for information leading to a conviction over the unsolved murder increased from $50,000 to $200,000 last year.

Ms Richardson, 17, died at or near Horseshoe Lagoon from a combination of strangulation and drowning.

When handing down her finding Ms Forbes expressed profound sympathy to Ms Richardson's parents and family.

The inquest was held after countless hours of investigation by police with officers compiling more than 1200 pages of evidence and exhibits.

Two men, Geoffrey Charles Brown from Lavington, and Ross Eames from South Australia, were identified as persons of interest.

Mr Brown was Ms Richardson's boyfriend when she went to school at St Paul's College, Walla.

Their relationship ended about 18 months before her death, but he apparently had trouble accepting it was over.

On the evening she disappeared, October 12, 1973, she was waiting near St Patrick's Church in Smollett Street, Albury, for a ride to Corowa.

Her body was found two days later.

The inquest was told four men, Mr Brown, Mr Eames, Max Martin and Kevin Newman, were present when Ms Richardson was raped and murdered. It was allegedly carried out by Mr Brown and Mr Martin as the other two watched.

Mr Martin and Mr Newman are now dead.

Two anonymous phone calls were made to police in South Australia after a television program about Ms Richardson's murder was aired in 1989.

Mr Brown was charged with murder after Mr Eames and Mr Newman were given immunity against prosecution by police.

They failed to give evidence at a committal hearing and Mr Brown was discharged.

Later there was failed legal action against Mr Eames and Mr Newman for concealing a serious indictable offence.

The latest inquest came after more people were interviewed and statements taken in 2009, but only time will tell whether anything substantial comes from the further investigations.

2011 Year in Review: Looking back on the 2011 inquest