Dederang-Mt Beauty's Darren Bradshaw faces court

Darren Bradshaw.

Darren Bradshaw.

BORDER football identity Darren Bradshaw has been put on an 18-month bond and fined $1300 over a drunken visit to his former partner’s residence.

Bradshaw’s sentencing in Albury Local Court had been deferred until yesterday for police to get his updated criminal record after he pleaded guilty to charges of intimidation, entering inclosed lands and damaging property.

His solicitor, Paul Robb, tendered a reference from the Dederang-Mount Beauty Football Club president.

It prompted magistrate Tony Murray to ask whether the club official was aware of Bradshaw’s criminal record.

Mr Robb said Bradshaw, who works as a linemarker, had been playing at the club for the past two years.

“He is deeply ashamed. He has little recollection of these events,” Mr Robb said.

Mr Murray said the intimidation offence was at the upper end of the scale.

He said Bradshaw should not go to his former partner’s home in the early hours of the morning, especially when affected by alcohol.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster. Understandably the lady was very upset, shaken and spoke to police straight away,” Mr Murray said.

Bradshaw, 33, of Vickers Road, Lavington, went into the backyard of his former partner’s home at 1am on July 6.

They had been in a de facto relationship for eight years before separating two years ago.

He attempted to remove a flyscreen from a bedroom window and banged on it.

The victim went to the window, saw him staring at her and calling her name.

She told him a number of times to leave and he twice punched the window before going to a patio area.

Bradshaw mouthed a message that he would get her and made a cut throat gesture with his right hand while she was phoning the police for help.

When police arrived, the victim was shaking and on the verge of tears.

Mr Murray granted a 12-month apprehended violence order for the victim’s protection when the case was first mentioned in court last month.

Bradshaw, a former Ovens and Murray premiership player with Wodonga and Doug Strang medallist for the league’s leading goalkicker, was banned from all pubs and clubs in WA in 2010 after he bit a man’s ear in a drunken brawl at a Kalgoorlie restaurant.

He was handed a five-year prohibition order by the director of liquor licensing, banning him from entering any licensed venues in that state, ordered to pay $6000 compensation and fined $700.

He is a leading district footballer and is now playing in the Tallangatta league.