"I'm going to blow myself up", court hears

A NORTH Albury street was cordoned off last year after Pece Stisnijoviski threatened to shoot at the first police vehicle he saw, a court heard yesterday.

It was about 2.05am on June 8 and just 20 minutes after two police officers told Stisnijoviski he would receive a traffic infringement notice.

At the time, a cursory search of his boot by police revealed numerous items including wires, liquids, pipes and a generator, but there was insufficient evidence for them to seize the items.

Stisnijoviski rang triple-0 on his mobile and said: “I am going to blow myself up with a hand grenade. I am ex-army.”

He made a threat to blow up his vehicle which he said was still at the same location in Fallon Street.

Ten minutes later Stisnijoviski, who is from Melbourne, made another phone call and screamed loudly: “I want to kill myself. I have knives and a gun. I will shoot the first police car I see.”

About 10 police cordoned off the area from the Mate Street intersection to the Hume freeway overpass.

All police were warned to wear bullet proof vests and not to approach Stisnijoviski.

A request was made to Sydney for police from the State Protection Support Unit to attend the scene.

Ambulance and fire brigade officers arrived and Stisnijoviski started driving towards a road block.

Just before reaching it, police dragged him from the car, took him to the ground and handcuffed him.

He suffered a cut eye and was taken to the Albury hospital for treatment along with mental health assessment.

After this was over he was released back into police custody at 6.05am.

Stisnijoviski, 50, of Thomastown, appeared in a video link from the Melbourne Remand Centre for sentencing on charges of making a hoax threat and using a carriage service to menace, harass or offend.

Magistrate Tony Murray was told Stisnijoviski had spent more than two months in custody in NSW before being released on Supreme Court bail.

He imposed a two-month jail term backdated to start on June 8 last year.

Stisnijoviski has been charged with other offences in Victoria and was remanded in custody.