Police pursuit lands Lavington man in court

TWO security guards and a duty manager had witnessed Joshua McKenzie-McHarg’s driving in Albury’s SS and A Club car park in July, when he had screeched his tyres and shouted abuse before leading police on a pursuit to East Albury.

McKenzie-McHarg went to the club on July 18 and early the next morning was asked to leave after going into a women’s toilet.

Soon after staff heard screeching tyres in the car park and saw McKenzie-McHarg driving a white Nissan Pulsar.

He had his head out the window while shouting abuse at the two security guards, who were 10 metres away.

McKenzie-McHarg, 25, of Kaitlers Road, Lavington, drove out of the car park, went around the block and returned driving around at high speed.

He pulled on the handbrake causing his vehicle’s wheels to lock up and skid.

A police vehicle responded to a radio message, entered the car park at 2.20am and saw McKenzie-McHarg’s vehicle which left.

Officers saw him drive through three red lights before activating their warning devices to start a pursuit.

McKenzie-McHarg went through another two red lights and police terminated the pursuit before the North Street overpass bridge.

His vehicle was travelling in excess of 160km/h in a 60km/h zone as he went towards Drome Street.

The circumstances of his driving were outlined in Albury Local Court earlier this week when McKenzie-McHarg failed to attend on charges of failing to stop in a police pursuit, dangerous driving and resisting arrest. He was convicted in his absence and magistrate Tony Murray issued warrants for him.

Highway patrol police saw McKenzie-McHarg driving in Kaitlers Road about 10.05am on Wednesday.

His vehicle had no number plates and he was unable to produce a driver’s licence when stopped.

McKenzie-McHarg said his number plates were stolen on July 5 and he had not bothered to replace them.

A check by police revealed the outstanding warrants and the fact that he was a disqualified driver.

McKenzie-McHarg failed to attend Cooma Local Court on August 19 for a drink-driving offence and was banned until February 18 next year.

He appeared in custody in Albury Local Court yesterday for a release application.

Solicitor Dione Garwell said McKenzie-McHarg intends pleading not guilty to disqualified driving and seeks to have the convictions annulled.

Magistrate Tony Murray adjourned the charges until September 30 and ordered a pre-sentence report.

McKenzie-McHarg is on $1000 bail, has to report three times weekly to police and cannot be in a vehicle without a licensed driver.