EDITORIAL: Plaudits are well earned
ROSALIE Martin says she’s an ordinary person striving to do ordinary things well.
The director of Martin’s bus company was last night inducted into the Hall of Fame at the annual Albury-Wodonga Chamber Business Awards after 30 years at the coalface of the business.
“It’s an amazing recognition,” she said.
Mrs Martin took over the day-to-day operation of the business after her husband, Frank, died in 1984.
Their son, David, joined the company not long after at the age of 17.
Mr Martin took over as general manager four years ago, taking the reins of the school and local bus operations and overseeing the administration.
Mrs Martin has been concentrating her efforts lately on Martin’s Travel and Tours.
“My greatest accomplishment is running the concert, theatre, sporting and special event tours,” she said.
“I get to meet old and new friends all the time.”
Mrs Martin said her key to success was having a personal approach with customers and making a connection with the community.
“We have a great rapport with our customers and have a high amount of repeat business,” she said.
“The customers just keep coming back, so we must be doing something right.”
Mrs Martin also attributed much of the company’s success to its staff.
“I would like to thank past and present staff for their commitment as this operation would not exist without them,” she said.
* Outstanding new business — Daintree Medical Centre
* Excellence in small business — Twin City Roller Doors
* Excellence in medium/large business — Rice Graphic Images
* Excellence in innovation — Parklands Albury Wodonga
* Excellence in micro business — Grind on Olive;
commendation — Boudoir
* Excellence in environmental sustainability — Aware Industries
* Excellence in hospitality, leisure and retail services — Albury DJ Entertainment;
commendation — Quality Hotel on Olive
* Excellence in manufacturing, industrial and business services — Rice Graphic Images.
* Excellence in commercial and professional business services — Border Pathology;
commendation — Spiire
* Excellence in workplace health — Murrumbidgee Local Health District; commendation — Hume Bank
* Employer of choice — The Personnel Group
* Outstanding young business person — Laura Chanter
* Hall of Fame award — Rosalie Martin, Martins Travel Group Albury
* Most outstanding business — Rice Graphic Images